Biometric identification is becoming better so more important in security. Rather than using a password, you use some physical characteristics of yourself. There are some real and immediate advantages to using them:
1) Unlike passwords, your biometrics are always with you and cannot be lost or forgotten.
2) Biometrics can't be stolen like a password. In a shop where people work close to each other, this can be a real problem.
3) They are the only identification systems in use now in retail that can verify an individual's identity with near certainty. Security on passwords can be dubious as people who work with you may know your passwords, but they do not have your fingerprints. Unlike ID cards and passwords, people cannot steal them to gain access to areas of your software where they should not go.
4) It is often much more convenient as people walk around with their fingers. They usually do not walk around with their employee ID cards.
5) It also makes it harder for hackers who have developed elaborate schemes to break into your computer systems. Now they have to hack the native security system of the biometric system too.
Integrated biometrics can safeguard your system.